Author Topic: 50 billion cripples  (Read 8794 times)

Offline No more suffer

• View Profile
50 billion cripples
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
I just watched the slideshow "50 billion cripples” about the chicken meat industry and I want to recommend everybody to watch and spread

Euthanasia brigade

Re: 50 billion cripples
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
Yes, It was pretty impressive and effective but speaking of chickens I was more affected by the counter in the chicken article. I just stared at it for a while, half frozen. Then I thought about these numbers, about the ordinariness of these incomprehensible numbers, and just couldn’t get it. I was exposed to the immense numbers along time ago probably when I read my first flyer, but in a counter where I can see the numbers run incessantly and I imagine the slaughterhouse horrors where more and more chickens’ throats are sliced every second it is different. The arbitrary killing is much more tangible

Offline Earth to Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
I know how you feel Euthanasia brigade. When I saw the counters in the homepage I had a few moments of shock. I also tried to comprehend, and it was actually the human counters running beside the animals counters who made me think about the enormous gaps between them in the sense of death, even though I know it is not what they had in mind when they put them there.

The years 1939 – 1945 are considered by many as the worst in human history.
But there are more chicken victims in just one day than the number of casualties during the second world war, the soviet political purification and the Nazi ethnic purification. And that’s chickens alone in just one day. Not even the worst day in chickens’ history but any given day.
Every day about 280 million animals are murdered in factory farms. In just a few hours the number of animal victims reaches the number of human victims in those most horrible years.
If you change the species type then the years which are considered the worst in human history, are a few hours of everyday from a quantitative point of view.

My point is not that we live in a speciesist world, it’s so obvious I’d be wasting your time. My point is that if those years were the everyday reality of humans, day by day, year after year, then the number of the Only One Solution movement supporters was enormous. Probably most if not all of the ones who are not in power.

Offline takin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
I just want to add a seemingly technical comment which I find important (about the ideological issue I am still thinking so I will comment about it later). Since it is a moral issue that counts suffer and not death toll, you shouldn’t consider casualties only but their families’ and friends’ suffer too and of course every wounded during that horrible period.

Offline Earth to Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
I totally agree, but I don’t think that it changes the equation because in my calculation I didn’t consider the long term affect and the broader affect of the chicken meat industry as a very environmentally harmful industry. And even if we ignore the extensive harm, every day about 136 million chickens are murdered so in just a few hours there are more murdered chickens than all the casualties in all the recorded wars of the twentieth century, so I don’t think that there is a doubt regarding the quantities.

Declaration of the end

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
I never liked the comparison to the holocaust but as for the chicken industry in the sense that the Earth to Venus use it I agree that we can’t ignore the fact that every year new 50 billion cripple creatures are born.
This is a very harsh indictment against this world. It feels ridiculous to stand in front of KFC with a “meat is murder” sign while the throats of millions of chickens are sliced.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:02:18 AM by Declaration of the end »

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 05:10:03 AM »
I don’t call 4 hours of standing with signs and shouting slogans in front of KFC, ignoring.

Declaration of the end

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
Right, and I didn’t say it was ignoring, but I can’t call it stopping either, can I?
Activists hear about what happens to chickens and about how KFC are connected, and they really want to do something about it. Filled with anger over the diners and passers by indifferent, they shout stronger and bring harsher images and sharper slogans on bigger signs but it’s still standing in front of KFC for a few hours while the counters are still running…

Offline E.A.S

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »
Standing with signs and shouting slogans in front of a KFC restaurant, is definitely not ignoring, but it is asking the abusers to stop abusing and it is wrong. As we wrote several times in several places in the website stop asking the abusers.
There is no way of convincing all the abusers to stop but that is not the issue of this discussion. The issue is the counters and our mission is to stop them for good and in the fastest way. The abusers consent is not relevant.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
Are you suggesting I will take a gun to KFC next demo and shoot everybody.

Offline E.A.S

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »
Of course not. First of all you won’t be very effective in prison and second sporadic killings are meaningless anyway (I believe an explanation is not necessary). When we say that it is not the abusers decision whether to keep abusing or not, we don’t mean that you should go and shoot them. We mean that when you look for a solution you shouldn’t consider the abusers and what you think will work on them, but ignore them. We mean that the solution shouldn’t be dependent on the abusers’ will to be considerate and caring and to stop abusing. They are not relevant. What should be on your mind is how can I stop all the suffering for good and as fast as possible. You shouldn’t spend your precious time trying to figure out how to reach the meateaters in the best way.
So we don’t want you to go to KFC at all. Not with guns and not with flowers. It is a waste of valuable time. Why spending your time on the few people that agree to stop and listen to you, some out of politeness and the rest because it is a chance to proclaim their argument against veganism and vegetarianism, when you can start your own O.O.S research team?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:14:56 AM by O.O.S »

TinyPortal © 2005-2015